Tragic Thomas Cook couple who died in Egyptian hotel 'stayed next to fumigated room'
By James Cox1st September 2018, 11:18 pmUpdated: 1st September 2018, 11:25 pm
A BRIT couple who died mysteriously after staying in an Egypt hotel may have been gassed to death by poisonous fumes.
Susan and John Cooper were staying next to a room which had been fumigated just hours before, the Mail on Sunday claims.
The pair died on August 20 after being taken ill at the five-star Thomas Cook hotel at the Red Sea resort of Hurghada.
Their daughter Kelly Ormerod, who came back from a walk to find her dad dead and mum dying, has told how there was a "funny smell" in their room.
Sources told The Mail on Sunday the rooms shared a false ceiling with fumigated room 5106.
It was the only room conne cted to the one where Susan, 63, and John, 69, from Burnley, were staying.Travel Editor of The Sun Lisa Minotâ discusses the âtragic deaths of John and Susan Cooper in the Steigenberger Aqua Magic in the Red Sea resort of Hurghada
A source said: "There was a fumigation of the room next door.
"Some of these places use pretty heavy-duty stuff and chemicals which are allowed in Egypt are banned in Europe."
Toxicology reports are due on the tragic couple's bodies.
Kelly last night confirmed that the neighbouring room had been fumigated.
She said: "We donât know its significance because by now there are unlikely to be any remaining traces of substances that might have been the re."Brit tourist Janine Traviss who fell ill at at Steigenberger Aqua Magic hotel claims reception 'told them not to visit communal dining area'
We revealed yesterday how the hotel has suddenly received a flurry of 5-star TripAdvisor reviews.
The review section originally had dozens of complaints over the years from holidaymakers who said they fell ill there.
Several were from tourists who visited the hotel this summer with some reviewers saying they were part of large parties where virtually everyone was laid low.
It has emerged that almost 200 people have lodged sickness complaints against the Thomas Cook resort.
But in recent days a string of good reviews have been published, several from people who do not reveal which part of the world they are from.
Thomas Cook evacuated 300 British holidaymakers from the resort after the mystery deaths.
The holiday firm's Peter Fankhauser has met Egyptâs Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly.
FEELING LUCKY?Winning Lotto numbers for Saturday September 1 2018 Â£7.8million jackpot
BABY COME BACK?Man claims he's baby kidnapped 32 YEARS AGO as family await DNA result
CAN'T BEAT ITThe Simpsons creator confirms 27-year-old fan theory about Michael Jackson
BABY JOYAlfie Evans' parents welcome a baby boy months after losing their tragic son
'SHE JUST DROPPED DOWN'Mum-of-three, 35, collapses and dies walking with family on holiday
SHE'S AT IT AGAINShameless German CBB star Katja K rasavice shaves a VERY intimate area
Thomas Cook said: "We remain committed to doing everything we can to get to the bottom of what happened to Mr and Mrs Cooper.
"The circumstances of their deaths remain unclear and it would be inappropriate to comment further until the Egyptian authorities complete their investigation and the autopsy findings are known."
Daughter Kelly has also travelled to the Egyptian resort town of Hurghada to confront officials.Bus transports tourists from Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel as Thomas Cook evacuates site in Egyptâs Red Sea resort of Hurghada after two Britons died
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.Source: Google News Egypt | Netizen 24 Egypt